If you have not made any new year’s resolutions yes, one primary consideration to add to the top of your list should be no cavities for the entire year. Although cavities seem to be easily gained, they are indeed easily prevented if you are willing to take the daily steps necessary to protect your teeth.
Your teeth only have a small amount of tooth enamel to protect them, so we must do our part to prevent bad acids and plaque from doing their worst to our enamel. Here are some tips for protecting your teeth:
– Mouthwash is good for rinsing away bad bacteria and food particles.
– After meals, chewing sugarless gum for at least 20 minutes has been shown to fight cavities.
– Make sure you practice proper etiquette with your brushing tactics including how you brush and how you care for your toothbrush.
– Floss once daily with ADA-approved dental floss or dentist recommended flossing tools.
– Brush your teeth twice daily with toothpaste that is ADA-approved or dentist recommended.
– Visit your dentist at Staten Island Dental Arts Center regularly for professional cleanings or oral exams.
– Avoid sticky candies, chewy snacks, or other foodstuffs that are difficult to wash away or remove from your teeth and gums.
As long as you take the necessary steps to protect yourself, cavities can be prevented. If you would like to schedule an oral exam or professional cleaning with Dr. Matthew Scaffa, please call our office at (718) 948 4393. We are located in Staten Island, New York. We look forward to making your oral health care for the new year the brightest one yet.