This highly motivated and positive individual assists in the prevention and treatment of oral disease, focusing on periodontal health by monitoring oral hygiene practices and assisting the patient to develop a home care plan to
maintain their oral health. Hygienists also can give specific advice on prevention, nutrition, use of fluoride and smoking cessation.
The requirements listed below are representative, but not all inclusive, of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
- Set up and prepare surgery before the start of each session when working without an assistant.
- Provide dental health education about tooth care and diet.
- Remove plaque and calculus by scaling and polishing teeth.
- Take impressions and/or dental radiographs of teeth as required.
- Apply prophylactic/antibacterial materials, fissure sealants and topical fluorides to help prevent tooth decay.
- Carry out screening and monitoring procedures.
- Treat and help prevent gingivitis and periodontitis.
- Ensure that sterile conditions are maintained.
- Clean and sterilize all equipment and working surfaces to the required standards at the end of each session.
- Use a range of different dental instruments.
- Maintain patient dental records; update all medical records as necessary.
- Take all reasonable methods to ensure patient comfort.
- Report equipment failures or breakages to the principle or practice manager so that action may be taken to remedy any defects.
- Follow health and safety guidelines in all aspects, including when taking X-rays, handling mercury, disposing of sharp and clinical waste, resuscitation, emergency procedures, and fire drills.
- Offer advice and encouragement to patients.
- Follow all practice policies and procedures.
- Obey all dental ethical guidelines, including all rules on confidentiality and data protection.
- High school diploma or GED
- A two-year diploma in dental hygiene or three-year oral health science degree
- Experience using computers and MS Office experience working in surgery
- Must be a people person with a great attitude and attention to detail
- Any extra courses taken relevant to dentistry
- Registered hygienist
Our practice offers employment opportunities that promote professional, personal and financial growth. We work extremely hard to provide our employees with continuous professional development and a supportive work environment.
Competitive wages coupled with guaranteed income plus incentive-linked bonuses, great benefits and opportunities for advancement are just a few reasons why a career with us is an investment in your future.